Finally Screen Rambles is back guys! For those of you who are new, welcome! Screen Rambles is a supposedly monthly feature on this blog where I talked about all the movies I watched in the previous month. I feel like I haven’t posted this feature in a while since I barely watched anything during the summer (the wifi was suck) so it’s good to be back. Let’s see what I watched in August.
Game of Thrones S7
As usual, the missing part = spoilers, so highlight them if you want to read the spoilers.
Let’s start with the obvious and the most waited. I was so excited for this season especially with how the previous season ends… THE HYPE IS REAL. Nothing can beat the wait for BBC Sherlock season 3, but GoT S7 came close.
Unfortunately I was dissapointed. While it’s great that the plot is finally moving, most of the time it feels like they are moving too fast. It takes a few episodes until a season to make a journey, yet in this season it seems like everyone just running around Westeros in matter of minutes. Where is the journey?? Some of the best moment in GoT happens during the characters’ journey: Hound vs Brienne fight, Brienne and Jamie friendship, Arya and Gendry meeting… The journey fleshed out the characters, showing us who they were and how those journeys had changed them. But this season seems to focused more on getting there rather than the journey. I feel like the showrunners could use an extra season instead of rushing out final leg of the story like this. We still need to deal with white walkers and Iron Throne in the next season, how could these 2 main issue of this show ends in mere 7 or 8 episodes?!
Another thing is how fanfiction-ish this season felt. This is the season where the show run without the original material from the book, and it feels like the showrunners were out of ideas that they just look through fanfiction and use them as show plot. Either that, or the fandom is just smart af. I mean, come on. There were so many fanservice in this season and despite being a penultimate season, the higher stakes don’t seem like a main concern in this season. It seems like White Walkers took a back seat while we explore the relationship of Dany and Jon; as the result, the deaths just didn’t pack as much punch as the older seasons.
That doesn’t mean that this season is not good, it’s just wasn’t as good as the previous ones. There are some things that I really love, such as:
- Ellaria Sand’s punishment. That was so fucked up, as buzzfeed mentioned it’s like Cersei put her worst fear on Ellaria (when Marcella was dead) and it kinda reminds us of Ned’s dad and brother’s punishment by the Mad King.
- Olenna’s confessions. “Tell Cersei. I want her to know it was me.” I WAS SHOOK. And it was definitely the best dialogue in the series. RIP Olenna though, you will be missed.
- The loot train battle scene. That Dothraki entrance? Dany with the dragon entrance? Bronn’s saving Jamie’s ass? EPIC.
- The Rhaegar Lyanna flashback. “Robert’s Rebellion was built on a lie. Rhaegar didn’t kidnap my aunt or rape her. He loved her, and she loved him.” That line just became one of my favorites and I SHIP THEM SO HARD.
- Baelish’s death. I mean, I love him in he’s such an amazing villain way, but seeing the Starks gang up on him give me life.
- Jamie leaving Cersei. FINALLY MAN, FINALLY. Cersei literally looked so heartbroken but she had it coming so BYE.
Also, that ending. I can’t believe I have to wait 2 years to see how the end went down. THAT IS SO RUDE.
Do I recommend it? YES, unless you’re perfectly fine with S6 ending¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rating: 3.5/5 stars
The Hitman’s Bodyguard
I’ve been waiting for this movie! The trailer looks absolutely hilarious and I just need to watch movies that acts as stress relief. While it wasn’t as funny as I hoped it will be, it was pretty awesome to take me away from reality for a while. Not to mention how amazing Salma Hayek was in the movie. The banter between Samuel L. Jackson and Ryan Reynolds were also very funny to watch. Definitely entertaining.
Do I recommend it? If you need a funny action movie for a stress release, then yes, this will be my recommendation.
Rating: 4/5 stars
And that’s it folks, what I watched in August. What did you think of the 7th season?